Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week ending March 11

Mon 3/5  8 1/2 miles at Croft. This was a good hard run after my down week, and reminds me why the down week is necessary. Certainly the hilliest 8 1/2 mile run out here, mostly because of the Chapters. There’s a new little alternate trail with a pretty significant side-slope, enough to give my ankles and feet a workout. Add in the constant climbing or descending, and, well, yeah. Bristol loved it, too.
from Dairy Ridge: Palmetto Trail to the Chapters to Hensington to Palmetto
Tue 3/6 4 miles at Cottonwood. Nice and easy.
Wed 3/7  7 miles at Croft. And still made it to Snidely rehearsal, almost on time.
from Dairy Ridge: New Edition to Lake Johnson connector to Hensington to Palmetto
Thu 3/8  3 miles, including one mile barefoot. Squeezed this in early because we had a crazy, packed day of work and play. We celebrated the opening of a great little sliver of a park tucked between the hippest coffee shop/bakery/bookstore/wine shop around. Lots of things were done right, and I have high hopes for its becoming a gathering place. 
This is the kind of amazing scenery you get
on the Blue Ridge Escarpment: Jones Gap State Park.
Later, at SPACE’s annual meeting, Patrick McMillan rocked our world reminding us how important our personal decisions about property, and landscaping, and protection are. Here, he said, we have a greater responsibility because our particular place, generally the Blue Ridge Escarpment, but especially the part that runs through the wet is one of the most biologically diverse areas in the world. Pretty amazing stuff. 
Fri 3/9  2 1/2 miles. A very busy day, including work, installing a toilet in our downstairs bathroom because L was bringing home a friend from school, and picking up L and said friend from said school. 
We went to our favorite burger joint for dinner, and I had the usual--a pimento cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato and onion, fries and a couple of PBRs. 
And I still hadn’t run. Rather than let my food digest and continue to test my resolve to get out the door, I just got out the door.
I don’t see how this guy does it. I wobbled my silly ass around the neighborhood, unable to really find any regular pace. My legs, on the other hand, felt pretty good. Got it done: 61 days.
Sat 3/10  4 miles, including 2 miles barefoot
Sun 3/11  22 1/2 miles at Croft. A beautiful day, cold enough in the morning to wear long pants (and try out carrying food without any significant pockets). All of my long runs  so far have been alone (with Bristol), so I was looking forward to running with Seth, Curtis Rowe from North Carolina, and Gordon. We did one loop of 14 miles, with hardly a flat step and a pile of sustained hills. 
Gordon having raced a half-marathon the day before, Curtis having done a killer speed workout of 24 x 400 in about 80 seconds each the day before, and Seth still coming back from injury and the ol’ snip-snip, the first loop was suitably slow. I was by myself for the second loop. I ran back up to the Chapters to add another hilly section and 8 1/2 miles to my run. Though I was tired and slowing, I continued to work the downhills, and ran all but a few steps to eat and drink.
from Dairy Ridge: first loop: Palmetto to TC’s to the little lake trail to the Lake Trail to New Edition; second loop: Palmetto to the Chapters and back out the Palmetto. 

Total: 51 1/2 miles in seven runs

This song has been stuck in my head all week, running or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment